Meeting - Nov 25 2008
ISOC-NY held a public meeting on Nov 25 2008 at NYU.
This was a 1 hour meeting.
- Joseph Shraibman
- Joly MacFie
- David Solomonoff
- Veni Markovski
- Tom Lowenhaupt
- Evan Korth
- Hannah Kopelman
- Minutes of Oct meeting yet to be transcribed
- December 16 clashes with Creative Commons salon
- Meeting will be moved up to Dec 9, subject to confirmation of room.
- Some expenses are yet to be received/paid, e.g. Lessig.
- Matt Cooperider owed one month.
- DVD duplicator ordered.
- Discussion of possible gifts for speakers
- Veni - $110 cube clock from Yoya on Hudson and Gandsevoort
- Joseph suggests Ambient devices - weather clock
- David wants some isoc-ny branding on the gift if poss.
- Events to be continued in Spring
- not all bills have been received but it is estimated that they add up to around the $5000 already received
- balance should be requested from ISOC.
- This will involve making a report.
- Check needed - $48. (done)
- David talks about alternative meeting spaces to NYU.
- In Spring we won't have the captive audience of the 40 members of Evan's class.
- Hannah is building a network of contacts - community noticeboards, tech schools, local press etc.
- Hannah needs at least 2 weeks advance notice.
Possible Topics for events
- Australian government has plan to censor net.
- FCC plan to introduce censored free WiFi.
- White spaces & IPv6 may offer alternative modes of access.
- France has accepted legislation, contrary to European Commission policy, that users who download 'illegal' content - can be banned from internet access
- European Council of Ministers on Telecom is due in a couple of days to have a vote on implementing a similar policy.
- Perhaps external affairs not of such great interest to Americans.
- Susan Crawford on Obama transition team.
- Possible event - see when Susan might be free.
- Implementation given go ahead by FCC
- 18 months or more before devices appear.
- Possibility of community networks and mesh.
- May drive IPv6 adoption.
- Could we co-operate with "Internet for Everyone" on a Last Mile event?
- Tim Wu key speaker.
- Matt Mason - piracy
- Robert Bruen - spam
- Danny Younger & Beau Brendler - ICANN
NYC Council Tech Committee
- held hearing on webcasting on Oct 29
- joly spoke, video'd, [ http://www.isoc-ny.org/?p=488 webcast] that meeting
- strong presentation by Granicus Inc. who already do SF and LA councils.
- local firm Total Webcasting have 'webcast in a box' solution for remote meetings
- transcription is subcontracted to local women's group uptown.
- NY State government is already webcasting many meetings.
Webcasting isoc-ny meetings live
- David is keen on this.
- Insufficient resources at present.
- Would take time to build an audience.
- Could make current hi-quality on-demand service superfluous while attracting smaller audience.
- Not totally reliable.
- Volunteer needed.
- We have to start doing tables at events.
- DVDs coming.
- Pamphlet needed.
- All Computers and Society lecture series mastered. Two missed.
- Composite dvd-rom of iPod versions.
- David is making contacts with Libraries, some of whom may pay.
- Library of Congress.
- ISOC money is involved for worthwhile projects.
- We should reach out to other local organizations for co-operative projects.