Meeting - Jun 19 2008
ISOC-NY held a public meeting on Jun 19 2008 at NYU.
- Joseph Shraibman
- Hannah Kopelman
- Joly MacFie
- Evan Korth
- David Solomonoff
- Dave Fletcher
- Jeffrey Barke
- Aaron Williamson
- Matt Cooperrider
- Minutes of May meeting approved.
2. Remote Participation
- Peter Bloniarz of SUNY Albany and Gene Gaines of ISOC-DC are interested in participating remotely in ISOC-NY events.
- We did a test stream of the recent Forum of Political Participation using ustream.tv using Matt C's powerbook -
all worked well, but we didn't announce beforehand so didn't have viewers.
- Mogulus is an alternative system.
- Harvard has a live question tool. http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/questions/
3. ISOC-DC http://isoc-dc.org
- It is noted that ISOC-DC is hard-up for members - can we help?
- Evan is going to the Democracy in Action conference in DC in a week's time. He can promote it to those present.
- Joly suggests buttons.
4. Monthly Meeting times
- ISOC-NY has always traditionally met on 3rd Thursday.
- We should check to see for conflicts with other groups before setting a fall schedule.
- Garysguide is a good resource.
- Aaron will check.
5. OneWebDay http://onewebday.org
- Online meeting was held with ISOC chapters and Susan Crawford.
- Shiva of ISOC-Chennai volunteered to run a 'Stories' contest - Joly has set up a WordPress for that.
- Matt C. is running the 'Ambassadors' program, where one person daily blogs and/or otherwise publicly states support.
- Dave can give it a mention in the Web Standards group.
6. Web Standards meetup group http://webstandards.meetup.com/118/
- Run by Dave and Jeffrey, meets at their office.
- Emphasis on implementation rather than advocacy.
- Audio podcast is on iTunes - search on theMechanism
- Looking for speakers.
- Should be announced on ISOC-NY announce list
7. Personal Democracy Forum http://www.personaldemocracy.com/
- Monday/Tuesday next week
- Evan Has arranged for 5 half price tickets ($300). 3 or 4 are available.
- It's unclear whether the event will be webcast.
8. Internet Policy Issues
- ISOC France has appealed for support in opposition for proposed new law that will mandate disconnection for copyright infringers.
- We will wait for further developments before issuing statement.
- Cuomo & Usenet - Cuomo has pressured ISPs into removing access to almost all Usenet groups including entire alt. hierarchy.
- It's still possible to use other providers to access USENET.
- ISOC-NY should issue a statement.
(Aaron Williamson leaves)
- We need to explore avenues for issuing news releases.
- prweb costs $75/$80
- We need to have a rapid response team for policy issues. An action group. ISOC-NY Internet Policy Task Force.
- In absentia we nominate Aaron as Chairman.
- We need to be become a recognized lobbying body, and be represented w/legislators.
- We could implement Fred Benenson's CauseCall system
- We should get him to talk
- Could be videotaped
- Gail Brewer's office as yet not contacted on ombudsman idea.
- php forum could be be set up on site?
- would need constant monitoring to avoid spam.
- form for people to report problems
- Who would follow up?
- Drew Clark is doing national survey http://broadbandcensus.com
- NYC Broadband Advisory Committee has an ongoing study.
- Where is its report?
- We could get together with NYC Wireless and other interested organizations to form a pressure group?
- Verizon were granted recently new tv franchise with hardly any public discussion.
- Again, emphasizes need to be able to respond rapidly.
10. Website, Discuss list, Interfacing with other chapters
- A facility has been added to the website such that items can be automatically forwarded to the discuss list (text only)
- Jeffrey asks if there is a system to syndicate material between ISOC Chapters
- There is a chapters wiki, a chapter rep mailing list.
- Chapters wiki uses tikiwiki - allows for translation
- Not all chapters have sites/rss feeds.
- Forthcoming ISOC AMS will have website-in-a-box feature for chapters that may well include syndication.
- Printed update issued.
- Joly notes that dreamhost has a native 'Version Control System' that could be used.
- Too much work for volunteer project. Needs pro coders.
- Could become a standalone project
- Needs more funding.
- Dave is willing to supply graphics.
- IRS Regulations have changed. Non-profits now have to file annually. In hand.
- Sales Tax exemption application underway.
- Paypal account is set up. We have received one donation.
- Grant application to ISOC has been submitted.
- We should identify possible patrons/sponsors.
13. Project Management