Meeting - Jul 17 2008
ISOC-NY held a public meeting on Jul 17 2008 at NYU.
- Joseph Shraibman
- Hannah Kopelman
- Joly MacFie
- Evan Korth
- David Solomonoff
- Dave Fletcher
- Jeffrey Barke
- Aaron Williamson
- Alicia Gibb
- Merle Bush
- Tom Lowenhaupdt
- Forest Mars
- William Jimenez
- Sandy Torres
- Minutes of June meeting approved.
2. Meet new members
- William Jimenez <webwillie83(at)yahoo.com>
- Sandy Torres <sandyyanks(at)aol.com>
3. By-laws reform
- Needed because we have 1 year not 2 year office terms and other anomalies
- Too cumbersome for small organization
- Proceed by making new proposed by-laws page on wiki
- Joseph in charge
4. Meetings and events
- General discussion.
- Evan will be event co-ordinator
- Matthew Cooperrider to be paid to be assistant
- Last mile event - could be coordinated with Internetforeveryone.org ?
- We should suggest ideas for events from the public.
- Aaron can ask Eben Moglen
- Social media & privacy
5. MNN public access cable
- David is keeen to get some of our events onto MNN
- Shows are restricted to 28mins
- Extra work involved in editing beyond Joly's voluntary scope.
- Joly will edit NYU forum for $100
- Forest reports that MNN will be going from 4 to 6 public access channels shortly and to 9 in 2010
- Seperate meeting needed to discuss issues.
- William is interested in the project
- New AGPL licence for site code has been introduced by FSF
- Jacob Appelbaum (inventor of Tor) will be in town this weekend
- Alicia will discuss project with him
- Cloudsmith project is an DIY install package aggregator / distributor
- Do we need to distro disks/ purchase a duplicator?
- Alicia has a programmer who would finish the project for $7000
7. OneWebDay http://onewebday.org
- Lawrence Lessig confirmed for Washington Square Sep 22 event
- 20 Sep Evan is doing seminars @ NYU
- Joly will do video
- teachers required
8. Access advocacy
- Joly to contact Kunal @ Gale Brewer's office to discuss
- Aaron has been investigating Alicia's case legal issues
- Aaron to post findings on discuss list
- Aaron will talk to Speakeasy
- David to contact AG's office
- We should have procedures for dealing with access problems
9. ICANN and .nyc
- Our At-Large Structure application will be voted on next week.
- ICANN has approved the continuing process of licensing new gTLDs.
- Tom estimates next Feb the earliest time to put in application
- There is possibly a rival commercial candidate for .nyc
- City applicants are putting together 'Paris Memorandum' on the responsibilities of Cities to gTLDs.
- Paris and Berlin applicants are both independent non-profits.
10. Web Standards
- Susan has requested that OWD site be w3c compliant
- Jeff will do the work.
- Then we will look at isoc-ny site