Meeting - Jan 28 2010
ISOC-NY held a menbers meeting on Jan 28 2010 at NYU.
- 1 Attendees
- 2 Minutes
- 2.1 Hannah Kopelman
- 2.2 Eben Moglen Event Feb 5
- 2.3 Other events
- 2.4 ISOC-NY TV show
- 2.5 The Hive at 55
- 2.6 Google Book Settlement.workshop
- 2.7 New York Tech Council
- 2.8 Harlem Internet Computer Access Program
- 2.9 Live webcasting budget
- 2.10 Finance
- 2.11 Community Outreach
- 2.12 Meetings/Membership/Elections
- Evan Korth
- David Solomonoff
- Hannah Kopelman
- Joly MacFie
- Joseph Shraibman
- As Director of Community Relations Hannah has been added to the Bod mailing list
Eben Moglen Event Feb 5
- Description needs fleshing out.
- Fliers should be given out at NY Tech meetup on Feb 2
- Lou Klepner is booked to webcast live.
- Hannah has arranged event posting on freenyc.net
Action: Design, print and distro flyers at NY Tech Meetup
- NYU has approved 'Computers & Society' course for Fall.
- Film event 'Copyright Criminals' set for March 5
- Evan still exploring speaker possibilities for 'Infrastructure' series.
ISOC-NY TV show
- We were a day late after Xmas - so our shows are going a week later than scheduled.
- Current time is alternate Wednesdays 11.30am
- Next show Feb 3 will be Google Book Settlement
The Hive at 55
- The Hive at 55 downtown has approached us about holding meetups.
- Joly visited. There is a large room and a small conference room. Very nice. Projector. Convenient.
- No fee was discussed.
- Video: http://www.isoc-ny.org/p2/?p=343
Google Book Settlement.workshop
- ISOC-NY sponsored the webcast of this event, put on by the National Writers Union.
- Used flipHD cam as second camera
- Necessitated purchase of Neoscene to convert flip AVCHD to HDV for editing - $129 not charged to ISOC-NY.
New York Tech Council
- Official videographers did not post. Site has malware warning!
- Joly filmed on flip. Video now posted on ISOC-NY site.
Harlem Internet Computer Access Program
- New acronym HICAP
- Management of building is outsourced by HUD to a management company.
- Project organizers can't get thru red-tape to open account, and are requesting ISOC-NY disburse ISOC funding.
Motion: That ISOC-NY handle the funds for HICAP. Passed unanimously.
- Merle already has preferred vendor - Compumania of Woodside, Queens.
- David feels that there are possibilities of discounts by purchasing direct from manufacturers
- The installation will be wireless.
- Technician Langlee Stubbs will inspect premises to see if there is interferencve.
- Inspection scheduled for Feb 2
Live webcasting budget
- We have negotiated a deal with Lou Klepner - $500 in advance to webcast 10 events at $50 each.
- The money will come from the ISOC Community Event grant
Motion: Pay Lou the $500. Passed unanimously.
- Joly was re-imbursed for Toner $335 and ICANN event travel expenses $419.20
- We have received $2000 annual events grant from ISOC
- ISX project is continuing. $5000 received is partly spent (duplicator).
- We need accounting broken down by projects
Action: Joseph to do project breakdowns.
- Leaflets and pins 'More Unregulated Spectrum' were handed out at the NY Tech Community Xmas Party.
- Materials are on the way from ISOC
- Table needs to be set up at events
- Elaine Lee's redesign of the brochure is ongoing.
- Hannah needs an updated reprint of the current brochure.
- New discount relationship for members w/O'Reilly books established
- Joly: print more brochures.
- Joly: check po box for ISOC stuff
- $250 grant applied for to cover costs of upgrading to new ISOC AMS system.
- There are approx. 500 people on both the announce list and the AMS.
- After reconciliation those that are not on the AMS can be persuaded to join.
- Some believe that we would be better off with a smaller but more involved membership.
- Should we introduce levels of membership similar to ISOC?
- 'Membership' meetings should be smaller events with pizza.
- 'Planning' meetings are Board + active members.
- Joly: Do the AMS reconciliation, which in turn will
- Joly: Create a definitive membership list
- All: Decide on membership levels, dues
- All: Rewrite the By-Laws accordingly
- Joly: Actively recruit non-members on announce/meetup lists.
- Hold elections
--Joly 23:03, 2 March 2010 (UTC)