Meeting - Jan 13 2009
ISOC-NY held a public meeting on Jan 13 2009 at NYU.
- Joly MacFie
- David Solomonoff
- Evan Korth
- Hannah Kopelman
- Dave Fletcher
- Jeffrey Barke
- Joseph Schraibman
- Dino & Jacob are not interested in pursuing the project.
- They did not want to be tied down to contract / timelines etc.
- Alternative is to collaborate with INCOGNITO developer.
- Different technology - further along
- Would need to add branding and documentation
- INCOGNITO already has 10/20,000 users - many of them human rights activists
- Name to be changed to ISX.
- Dave Fletcher will design logo.
- suggested tagline - "Anonymity for everyone"
- Persistent home directory
- Ad hoc website.
- Run linux in virtual form under windows
- Anonymous remailing
Video & DVDs
- Duplicator installed.
- 50 copies of Lessig talk distributed at Creative Commons Salon in Dec.
- Lessig DVD screened at library in Hartford.
- Very little demand thus far from ISOC-NY chapters.
- Researcher at Cornell asked for full set.
- Still some mastering to be done.
- Still some work on webcast page to be done.
- David has some interested librarians .
- We need to gat an account at MNN
- Plan is to serialize
- Hannah is a Manhattan resident.- could sign up on our behalf
- We have contacts Forest Mars and Jay Dedman.
- ISOC logo & officer name
- Definite ISOC guidelines on graphics.
- Dave can knock it out.
- isoc-ny.org email aliases for anyone who wants one.
- If we buy some pre-perforated sheets they can be laser printed in small quantity
- Cloud computing panel
- Free & open source software concerns.
- David has contacted possible speakers
- Need to set a date.
- We could make available a library of free software / server apps
- 25th anniversary of AT&T breakup
- Co-sponsorship of teletruth organized event.suggested
- Awaiting NYU approval
One Web Day
- Joly is currently webmaster for OWD.
- OWD Web Strategy Meeting held
- OWD is working on obtaining a Ford Foundation grant.
- Matt Cooperider is working on a custom social network for campaigns.
- It is intended to use OWD as a vehicle to develop that project.
- Consensus is that the front end should be cleaned up from scratch.
- Important to get it done quickly.
- Jeffrey got the idea that if we were to get a grant - a matching grant could quite easily be found.
- Next grant application date is March? Maybe we could juggle project funds?
- Evan yet to report to ISOC on events project.
- Lessig yet to ask to re-imbursement despite request
- 2 gifts given to speakers - more remaining to be purchased.
- Other sources of funding==
- Community Trust - large grants - 50K for one year projects.
- fcc-reform.org - discusses reforms the fcc could make to keep the internet open
- obama stimulus plan - allocation of funds for broadband
- incumbents versus open-access / competition
- David is interested in lobbying
- We need to study limitations imposed by taz-exempt status
- Reform wiki page has been created by Joseph
- What exactly are the roles of officers /quorums etc?
- Change has to be submitted to ISOC for approval and then submit it to members for vote.
- Select Admin representatives to ISOC should be included.
- Role of board could be better defined.
- Currently board acts as executive committee.
- Traditionally boards can include less involved respected individuals for advice, oversight, helpful to fundraising etc.
- Jeffrey willing to work on the bylaws.