Meeting - Dec 9 2008
ISOC-NY held a public meeting on Dec 9 2008 at NYU.
This was a 1 hour meeting.
- Joly MacFie
- David Solomonoff
- Evan Korth
- Hannah Kopelman
- Aaron Williamson
Nov 25 minutes
- reword: not all bills have been received but it is estimated that they add up to around the $5000 already received.
orgcom xmas holiday party
- Last year we were successful giving out IPv6 pins
- Apparently smaller this year due to lack of sponsors
- David has inquired about tables but seems unlikely.
- If we are going to give out pins we need a new slogan
- perhaps something on white spaces
- a contract is yet to be offered to the programmers
- wording has to be finalized also time period
- dvd duplicator is being paid for by events project
- deadline of Jan 7 to present contract
- Aaron is willing to look over contract
- We should check programmers are still interested
- if not there is an alternative project INCOGNITO
- 3 possible speakers already initially contacted, need follow up
- Matt Mason - piarte's dilemma
- Robert Bruen - spam
- Danny Younger / Beau Brendler - ICANN
- possible Colloquium at NYU Law School
- Topic - Internet Censorship
- we should meet with ILI and discuss?
- Aaron recommends Derek Bambauer - Brooklyn Law School
- Susan Crawford - might be a good keynoter
- recent incidents - france - australia - uk & wikipedia - cuomo usenet blocking
- helen nissenbaum / elizabeth stark / erin should be contacted
- last year the Zittrain book launch worked well as a prep event
- Even is in touch with Helen
- Other venues
- David would like to use other venues e.g. Google
- Consensus is that NYU meets our needs at present.
- a publicity contact page has been set up on the wiki
- Gary Sharma has started a community directory at garysguide.com
- Evan is following NY Tech meetup
- Joly has joined nextny list
Community Outreach Project
- review of ISOC requirements on following up grants.
- Evan will draft interim report over Xmas
- Get approval to roll over events grant to 2009 / get remaining funds.
- Evan wants to get gifts for speakers
- DVD duplicator has been purchased
- Announcement of DVD availabilty to included in ISOC newsletter
- Details of DVDs to be added to webcast page on wiki
- MNN Public Access TV
- Problem has been editing down to 28min slots
- Joly suggests we not edit but serialize, with link to webcast.
- Slot needs to be arranged with MNN
- Aaron suggests short URL's
- ISOC-NY should actively seek out new collaborations with other organizations that can lead to co-sponsorship/funding opportunities.
- projects should be meritorious, internet related, and have matchable funding.
- aaron will keep an eye out for open-software projects
- joly has contacted people's production house.
One Web Day
- We did contribute some money toward the Washington Sq event.expenses.
- Joly has been standing in as webmaster for One Web Day
- Site really needs professional attention to properly present the event.
- We could apply for a grant and get a pro-shop to redesign the site.at a discount?
- Contact Susan and suggest this.
- Perhaps theMechanism would do it as a training project.