Meeting - Apr 17 2008
ISOC-NY held a public meeting on Apr 17 2008 at NYU.
Minutes are in the process of being transcribed.
- Joseph Shraibman
- Hannah Kopelman
- Erin Simon
- Aaron Williamson
- Joly MacFie
- Tom Lowenhaupt
- Evan Korth
- David Solomonoff
- Alicia Gibb
- Minutes of March meeting approved.
1. Discussion of Futures of Internet Event.
- Moderators had problems with meandering audience comments.
- A timer should be perhaps used at forums?
2. Announce list.
- Aaron not on it.
- To be featured more prominently on website.
- Sign for door needed at meetings.
4. Other websites
- Joly is maintaining websites on behalf of isoc-ny.
- We should consider reviewing security on our site and upgrading passwords.
5. Sphere Project.
- David has been participating in this - an ISOC Global initiative to identify and address chapter issues.
- Initial info is [ISOC Sphere Project|posted] on the wiki.
- A management consultant interviewed chapter reps.
- Several working teams have been formed.
- David had trouble logging into the Sphere wiki but is now ok.
- He will forward pertinent info to the chapter.
(Brief recap of ISOC membership structure / finances).
6. PIR budget
- Tom is interested in PIR budget to assist in making .nyc business plan.
Follow up: Try and find info.
7. Marratech get-togethers. - organize regular informal meetings on ISOC's conferencing system.
- Need to get it started.
- Time has to booked with ISOC.
- Someone has to be host,
- Rotate hosting with other chapters?
- Later e-meeting, which Joly was to attend, was canceled but info from earlier meet is posted on the wiki.
- Noted that ISOC requires matching funds in advance.
- David suggest NYU's venue facilitation can be considered a finincial contribution, as can 'sweat equity'.
- Evan is going to make an application for support for his 'Computers & Society' events in the fall.
- possibility of some matching funds for Evan's series from ILI at NYU Law School.
- Joly needs money for dvd media
- application deadline is Jun 2
- DVDs of the Zittrain and 'Futures' events have been produced.
- Free copies ahave been distro'd with $5 donation suggested on label.
- Is it possible that the current funds on hand for ISXubuntu could be re-purposed to DVD distribution?
- ISXubuntu on DVDs would be a workaround.
- DVD's cost around 50c each inc sleeves.
- David wants to go ahead and purchase a DVD duplicator.
- David wants to get one that prints too.
- Costs have to be researched.
- David gives brief introduction.
- More programmers needed.
- David will upload ISO to website.
- A CVS can be set up
- Adapting to Web2.0 - this would likely have to be a seperate project
- e.g. encrypting content of online applications
- .nyc event will be at Jefferson Mkt Library on May 21.
- event will be a 'public forum'
- Joly talked with Tim Wu about an event. Topic 'The Last Mile'
- Possibly during Internet Week Jun 2 - Jun 9
- Small rooms at Warren Weaver are 55. Big room holds 190
- Tim is hard to get hold of.
- Gale Brewer's aide Kunal Muhatra says they are contemplating a broadband event in City Hall park in the early summer, but it's just an idea at present.
- Recent events show that successful events can be arranged at short order if 'star' names are involved.
- Possible co-sponsorship of NYLinux install event.
- New technology demo event(s).
- new Intel wireless system.
- Mesh computing.
- NYU semester finishes 11 May
11. Gene Gaines router initiative
- Gene (from isoc-dc) is collecting used routers for possible distro to developing countries.
- isoc-ny should accumulate hardware recycling info on the wiki.
- perhaps sponsor recycle days at local retailers.
12. ICANN sig
- A informal meeting should be arranged with both Danny and Veni to brief the new members on ICANN matters.
- Alicia will think about an event in the fall to encourage WiFi Sharing.
- Needed: Clear instructions on how to share wifi securely.
- Community pressure commercial interests to pitch in.
- Discussion of muni wi-fi success & failure.
- Mesh networking could make ISPs redundant?
- Consumer education vital.
- Effective publicity involves speaking in cliches. Language is important.
- New York Public Library - Many rooms do not have WiFi
- NYC event will be 12-2pm on Mon Sep 22 2008
- Evan is organizing student-taught daytime classes at NYU on Saturday Sep 20
- Party - Sat Sep 20 evening
- OWD is looking for webcast sponsor for event.
- We could co-sponsor classes - get small grant for travel/lunch for teachers?