ISOC-NY Board Meeting - January 2, 2017 @ Civic Hall
Shulie Halleck - Executive Director, ISOC-NY, Photographs visible Net.
Joly - Born to internet
Dave Farber - Observer
Chris Gunderman -
Tom Lowenhaupt - ITP, Concerned about Not as concerned about
Avri Doria (Online) -
Richard Knipel - Wikimedia-NY
Jonathan Askin (on phone) -
Andrea Garcia (Online, from Brazil) -
Reuben - outreach and education is primary interest. curriculem
Stu Reid - New board member. Community technologist since early 1980s.
Greg Shatan -
(for more on candidates see
2. Greg Shatan to chair meeting
3. Election Review - Dave , moved that we accept as posted (get copy of results)
4. Joly nominated positions
Avri stepped down from chapter advisory committee, will stay on
Veni ICANN rep
NYNOG - Chris is active there.
Evan Korth - NYU Liaison
(Get url for AMS system.)
Approved by all.
Next Item Finance from Joseph
23 K in account. NYC MESH has 19k remaining
NYC MESH has 20k Beyond 10k other (supernode $850 recurring expenses per month.)
3K admin grant from ISOC central.
Dave moved to accept report. approved.
Joly would like to list all events we participated in
Dave B - More members are a general good. How to engage is the issue. 120k membership. 120 or 60 chapters.
Reuben "If there is a lack of engagement amongst our members, perhaps one might poll them to ask what they want and expect from ISOC-NY?"
Joe - Budget should be hit if needed to improve this. Compelling messages should be sent to members.
Joly - Richard says weekly slack meeting.
Dave Farber - Have a debate with a great moderator.
Joly - Organizational members and
Joe - regular meetings?
Joly - monthly. First Monday?
Greg - Membership Committee
February 12 next meeting
Shulie - Digital preservation event with Google.
Dave B - Need better by-laws. Would like new membership.
Greg - Form a law committee.
Adorned at 8:08
This is the user page of Thomas Lowenhaupt, Director, ISOC-NY - Connecting.nyc Inc.
Collaborative Notes From October 22 "unofficial" meeting of 7 isoc-ny board members
Member of ISOC-NY board or directors attending:
- David Solomonoff - President
- Grace Wang - Executive Vice President
- Joseph Shraibman - Treasurer
- Richard Knipel
- Tom Lowenhaupt
- Jonathan Askin
- Dave Burstein
The 7 met at Le Pain, Park Avenue South and 33rd Street, from 6-8 PM.
The following report follows the Chatham House Rules (ideas but no names of those presenting them)
Recitation of Current activities
- Video presentation 154 Events via Live networks 22,056 Followers
- Joint sponsorships
New Ideas proffered
- Sponsor Regular Monthly events with an issue focus - support/integration with Techno-Activism Third Mondays
- Engage with Open Street Map, BetaNYC, and Wikimedia NYC"
- Focus on financial opportunities - blockchain and kickstarter. These are the powers of New York.
- Oppose merger of Cablevision and merger of Time Warner.
- Strive for independence for NYC's Internet resources. Move the TLD server from Virginia to New York.
- Make .nyc a secure TLD.