- About the Section 508 Standards - the guide from U.S. Access Board.
- The Ultimate Section 508 Guide for Students - from whoishostingthis.com - a web host review site.
Caption tools and resources
- Subtitle Edit : free (open source) editor for video subtitles
- CaptionTube : YouTube captioning tool
- Audio-Accessibility.com: Captioning info
- Resources: Audio-Accessibility resource page.
- Closed Captioning for Streaming Media: tutorial from Jan Ozer
- How to deploy Closed Captions: updated tutorial from Jan Ozer
- Captioning Service Vendors in the United States from DCMP
- Transcription Services comparison grid from uiAccess
- Captioning Key : Captioning guidelines from DCMP
- Caption it Yourself : Basic Guidelines from DCMP
- CIY Resources : Web-based Captioning/Subtitling Tools from DCMP
- Getting started with captions and transcripts : YouTube help section.
- AMARA : Online open source collaborative captioning tool
- Using Amara To Subtitle Videos Guide from Global Voices
- Craptions to Captions Easy to use tool to correct YouTube automatic captions.
- the A crowd Another tool for correcting YouTube automatic captions.
- CCAC Resources: Captioning Advocacy resource page
- Open Steno Project: An umbrella project for open source steno tools
- Text on Top: Wireless Real-time Captioning System
- CaptionMaker and MacCaption Caption embedding tools from Telestream
- Caption First CART and transcription services. As used by ISOC and ICANN.
- CastingWords $2.50/min - 24hr turnround. Easy interface.
- ai media Access Innovation (Australia) includes CART services, i-frame solution for webcasts.
- Transcript Divas NYC-Based from $1.29/min 3 day up to $4/min 24 hr multiple speakers. No srt.
- VITAC "Vital Access thru Captioning"
- CaptionsForYouTube.com: User-friendly. $2.50/min flat rate.
- KOEMEI Auto transcription $250/mo, or 15c/min. Free trial.
- Pop-Up Archive: Enhanced auto transcription $20/hour or less. Free demo.
- Steno Knight CART Services: NYC-based ace stenographer Mirabai Knight $125/hr
- Rev $1/minute + 12hr turnaround
- The Accessibility Project: A community-driven effort to make web accessibility easier.
- Tools to Improve Your Website’s Usability: UX tools from Hongkiat
- Make WordPress Accessible: official blog for the WordPress accessibility group
- U.S. Web Design Standards: Open source UI components and visual style guide
- Web Accessibility Basics: Blog post from Mozilla accessibility QA engineer and evangelist Marco Zehe
- Accessibility for User Experience Designers : By Matt Isner
- An Introduction to Screen Readers: video by a blind Yahoo! engineer who demos Jaws and discusses accessibility
- How to download closed captions (subtitles) from YouTube videos
- Accessibility and Websites - Svetlana Kouznetsova
- How to easily create subtitles and captions for YouTube SEO CaptionTube tutorial
- Video Accessibility in 2013 - How to Comply Guide to U.S. Regulation, and use of Kaltura. (Registration required.)
- Joseph Karr O’Connor: Cities: Making Accessible WordPress Themes
- Web Accessibility 101: series by SSB BART Group
- 7 Ways to Caption Your Videos: an informal beginners guide.
- BARD Mobile "How-To" Series Webcasts: Library of Congress tutorials for BARD (Braille and Audio Reading Download)
- What even is a table?: A quick look at accessibility APIs by Edd Sowden
Articles + Papers
- GIP Digital Watch Disability Rights: policy observatory, updated monthly
- Accessibility Tips: accessibility tips from Isolani, a Yahoo! engineer in Europe
- Adding Closed Captioning to your Vegas Pro project Sony Tutorial
- Closed Captioning for Streaming Media Overview from Jan Ozer of streamingmedia.com
- Accessible Webinars A guide to producing accessible online meetings.
- Disabled people and the Web: User-based measurement of accessibility André Pimenta Freire PhD thesis (2012)
- Accessibility in Google Apps – an overview - with a focus on screen readers (Marco's Accessibility Blog)
- ICANN At-Large Web Accessibility for People with Disability - Guide v1.1 - June 2014.
- Subtitle Quality: BBC study - Sep 2015
- Screen Reader Market Figures: My Analysis Of WebAIM Survey #6: by Chris "Gonz Blinko" Hofstader - Sep 2015
Laws and Standards
- Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act: Public Law 111-260 signed by President Barack Obama on October 8, 2010.
Organizations & Groups
- Internet Society Disability and Special Needs Chapter also has a LinkedIn.
- Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability ITU/IGF initiative
- The International Center for Disability Resources on the Internet (ICDRI) A comprehensive index of online disability resources.
- Cynthia Says A site accessibility test based on the standards of long-time disability activist Cynthia Waddell.
- National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM): Research and development facility that works to make media accessible to disabled persons, minority-language users, and people with low literacy skills. Site lists latest projects and publications, as well as links to other accessibility information.
- Alliance for Technology Access (ATA): The Alliance for Technology Access (ATA) is comprised of networks of community-based Resource Centers, Affiliates, Associates, Developers and Vendors dedicated to providing information and support services to children and adults with disabilities, and increasing their use of standard, assistive, and information technologies.
- United Spinal Association: (Formerly the Eastern Paralyzed Veterans’ Association.) Nonprofit assisting spinal cord-injured and diseased veterans, primarily in the New York, New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania and Connecticut. Also assists nonveteran disabled.
- Tech Connections: one-stop resource for information on Assistive Technology (AT) designed to accommodate people with disabilities in the workplace and in everyday life activities. Includes search and browse functions for job type, by disability, AT types, legislation and funding, training resources and more. Clean, easy to use site.
- WebABLE: (pronounced Web-ABLE) The Paciello Group is dedicated to helping government agencies, technology vendors, e-commerce corporations, and educational institutions make their technology equally accessible to all people, including those with disabilities. The company offers professional consulting, technology solutions, and monthly monitoring services to ensure that clients reach all audiences effectively and efficiently while meeting governmental and international standards. Searchable database.
- SSB’s Accessibility Management Platform (AMP): A turn-key, web-based solution that provides enterprise-class organizations access to auditing, testing, reporting, training, and best practices to rapidly conform to Section 508, the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and other leading accessibility requirements.
- DCMP : Described and Captured Media program - captioning info clearing house from the the National Association of the Deaf
- Media Access Australia : Australia’s only independent not-for-profit organisation devoted to increasing access to media for people with disabilities.
- AccessibiltyOnline: a collaborative training program between the ADA National Network and the US Access Board.
- U.S. Access Board:- federal agency that promotes equality for people with disabilities.
- VIBUG: the Visually Impaired and Blind User Group in Massachusetts
- GAATES: The Global Alliance on Accessible Technologies and Environments
- National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS): Library of Congress
- WebAIM: Web accessibility project at Center for Persons with Disabilities, Utah State University
- Telecommunications for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (TDI): TDI provides leadership in achieving equal access to telecommunications, media, and information technologies for deaf and hard of hearing people.
- CCAC: Collaborative for Communication Access via Captioning. CCAC has one Mission – inclusion of quality captioning universally.
- IBM Accessibility
- HLAA: The Hearing Loss Association of America
- WGBH NCAM: National Center for Accessible Media – A non-profit R&D organization dedicated to achieving media access equality for people with disabilities.
- U.S. Access Board: The Access Board is an independent Federal agency that provides leadership in accessible design under the ADA and other laws
- Easy Alliance: A MIT startup. Redefining Accessibility and user Experience. Creators of AxMax System.
- Judith Heumann: U.S. Special Advisor for International Disability Rights facebook page
- Global Accessibility News - round up from GAATES
- 11/18/2014 Deborah Kendrick commentary: This Champion of Change is just getting warmed up article about deaf blind accessibility advocate Haben Girma
- 12/26/2013 FCC Looking to Expand Closed Captioning Requirement for IP-Delivered Programming CommLawBlog
- 02/11/2008 Slow motion wake-up call for Web accessibility update on lawsuit by the National Federation of the Blind against Target
- Earl: voice-driven content reader for iOS. Listen to more info. ($99.99/annum)
- Be My Eyes: an app that connects blind people with volunteer helpers from around the world via live video chat.
- JAWS: The World's Most Popular Windows Screen Reader
- Window-Eyes: $895 Screen Reader
- iOS Apps Developed Specifically for Blind or Low Vision Users: roundup from AppleVis
- Headset uses ear muscle signals for hands-free control - NSF report from CES 2015