Revision as of 15:34, 10 March 2014 by Bryan Garaventa (→Organizations & Groups: Added SSB to the list, and removed double line breaks between the * lines which was breaking the list markup in the page when rendered.)
Caption tools and resources
- Subtitle Edit : free (open source) editor for video subtitles
- CaptionTube : YouTube captioning tool
- Audio-Accessibility.com: Captioning info
- Resources: Audio-Accessibility resource page.
- Closed Captioning for Streaming Media: tutorial from Jan Ozer
- Captioning Service Vendors in the United States from DCMP
- Transcription Services comparison grid from uiAccess
- Captioning Key : Captioning guidelines from DCMP
- Caption it Yourself : Basic Guidelines from DCMP
- CIY Resources : Web-based Captioning/Subtitling Tools from DCMP
- Getting started with captions and transcripts : YouTube help section.
- AMARA : Online open source collaborative captioning tool
- Using Amara To Subtitle Videos Guide from Global Voices
- Caption First CART and transcription services. As used by ISOC and ICANN.
- CastingWords $2.50/min - 24hr turnround. Easy interface.
- ai media Access Innovation (Australia) includes CART services, i-frame solution for webcasts.
- Transcript Divas NYC-Based from $1.29/min 3 day up to $4/min 24 hr multiple speakers. No srt.
- youtubecaptions.com $2.50/min
- VITAC "Vital Access thru Captioning"
- An Introduction to Screen Readers: video by a blind Yahoo! engineer who demos Jaws and discusses accessibility
- How to download closed captions (subtitles) from YouTube videos
- Accessibility and Websites - Svetlana Kouznetsova
- How to easily create subtitles and captions for YouTube SEO CaptionTube tutorial
- Video Accessibility in 2013 - How to Comply Guide to U.S. Regulation, and use of Kaltura. (Registration required.)
- Joseph Karr O’Connor: Cities: Making Accessible WordPress Themes
- Web Accessibility 101 series by SSB BART Group
- Accessibility Tips: accessibility tips from Isolani, a Yahoo! engineer in Europe
- Adding Closed Captioning to your Vegas Pro project Sony Tutorial
- Closed Captioning for Streaming Media Overview from Jan Ozer of streamingmedia.com
- Accessible Webinars A guide to producing accessible online meetings.
- Disabled people and the Web: User-based measurement of accessibility André Pimenta Freire PhD thesis (2012)
Organizations & Groups
- Internet Society Disability and Special Needs Chapter also has a LinkedIn.
- Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability ITU/IGF initiative
- The International Center for Disability Resources on the Internet (ICDRI) A comprehensive index of online disability resources.
- Cynthia Says A site accessibility test based on the standards of long-time disability activist Cynthia Waddell.
- National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM): Research and development facility that works to make media accessible to disabled persons, minority-language users, and people with low literacy skills. Site lists latest projects and publications, as well as links to other accessibility information.
- Alliance for Technology Access (ATA): The Alliance for Technology Access (ATA) is comprised of networks of community-based Resource Centers, Affiliates, Associates, Developers and Vendors dedicated to providing information and support services to children and adults with disabilities, and increasing their use of standard, assistive, and information technologies.
- United Spinal Association: (Formerly the Eastern Paralyzed Veterans’ Association.) Nonprofit assisting spinal cord-injured and diseased veterans, primarily in the New York, New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania and Connecticut. Also assists nonveteran disabled.
- Tech Connections: one-stop resource for information on Assistive Technology (AT) designed to accommodate people with disabilities in the workplace and in everyday life activities. Includes search and browse functions for job type, by disability, AT types, legislation and funding, training resources and more. Clean, easy to use site.
- WebABLE: (pronounced Web-ABLE) The Paciello Group is dedicated to helping government agencies, technology vendors, e-commerce corporations, and educational institutions make their technology equally accessible to all people, including those with disabilities. The company offers professional consulting, technology solutions, and monthly monitoring services to ensure that clients reach all audiences effectively and efficiently while meeting governmental and international standards. Searchable database.
- SSB’s Accessibility Management Platform (AMP): A turn-key, web-based solution that provides enterprise-class organizations access to auditing, testing, reporting, training, and best practices to rapidly conform to Section 508, the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and other leading accessibility requirements.
- DCMP : Described and Captured Media program - captioning info clearing house from the the National Association of the Deaf
- Media Access Australia : Australia’s only independent not-for-profit organisation devoted to increasing access to media for people with disabilities.
- AccessibiltyOnline: a collaborative training program between the ADA National Network and the US Access Board.
- 12/26/2013 FCC Looking to Expand Closed Captioning Requirement for IP-Delivered Programming CommLawBlog
- 02/11/2008 Slow motion wake-up call for Web accessibility update on lawsuit by the National Federation of the Blind against Target