VIDEO: Alfredo Lopez – How to Run a Progressive & Collaborative ISP #TA3M @OpenITP @OpenCUNY #netfreedom
At the OpenITP Techno-Activism Third Monday on May 20, 2013 at CUNY Graduate Center NYC, OpenCUNY presented Alfredo Lopez, founder of May First/People Link (MF/PL), who shared his experience running a progressive and collaborative ISP. Video is below.
May First/People Link is a membership-led and driven organization comprised of about 450 organizations and another 400 individuals making for a total of nearly 3,000 people in the organization. It is a politically progressive organization, democratically run, and organized in both the United States and Mexico
- Why you should care about what type of ISP you have (Hint: They can see and share your online traffic)
- Why MF/PL was setup as a unique alternative Internet provider.
- How their infra-structure is different than most ISPs (support, server maintenance, and staffing) and why.
- How democracy works in MF/PL and the success and challenges they have had.
- The political challenges they face including lack of diversity in technology.
- How other movements, such as the Climate Change movement, interact and enrich the members of the collective.